South African Slang used in the show
AFRICA UMOJA uses commonly used ‘slag’ in the show – below are some of the words so you can understand what is being said. To view, click on the word
- sangoma traditional healer or diviner
- madalaOld man; grandfather
- dompasA Pass book. This was a document all African people had to carry with them, at all times.
- eish!an interjection expressing resignation
- heita“hello” or “hi”
- Shebeenillegal drinking-establishment (from Irish sibín), synonymous with speakeasy. In South Africa it refers in particular to unlicensed bars in the townships, and has become a mainstream word. During the apartheid era laws prohibited non-whites from consuming any alcohol except traditional sorghum beer, and taverns selling ‘hard-tack’ became the centre of social activity.
- tsotsigangster, layabout, no gooder